Friday 26 April 2019

How Fast Can a Baby Boomer With a Hip Replacement Sprint for 40 Yards?

    Early spring is the time when the National Football League (and the Canadian Football League) hold what is known as the 'Combine'.  The Combine is when potential recruits are put through a series of interviews, aptitude tests and physical assessments. The most regaled assessment has always been the 40 yard sprint!

It is often interesting for the average fan to fantasize how they would do against the professionals.
Well think no more! Little Bobby Strong has the answer.

I was a distance runner. I had some sprint speed back then  - and a lot more hair!
  See the following video to see how I have maintained the fast twitch muscle with age.







































                         

For the last two years I was updating my Personal Fitness Training certificate to a diploma. One of the required courses was in Sports Performance and Assessment Techniques. There was a lab in which the Trainer or a client performed a linear speed test and made a video of the performance.
I decided that I would make the attempt of the required 40 meter sprint in 2 timed trials. It should be noted that I had a total hip replacement in 2006.! The attempts went better than I thought they would.

40 Meter Sprint Trial
Trial No. 1                                                           Trial No. 2
20 Meter Split Time
40 Meter Time
20 Meter Split Time
40 Meter Time
4.13 seconds
8.1 secs. Split 3.97
4.13 seconds
7.56 secs. Split 3.43

My closing momentum was greater in the 2nd trial.   
If we convert to 40 yards my time would have been around 6.9 seconds. Top combine prospects run around 4.5 seconds for backs and receivers to around 5 seconds for the fastest linemen. If my offensive line opened a hole for me there might be a slight delay before I hit the line of scrimmage.                
   The next day my hamstrings were seized  and I could hardly stand up. Unfortunately, there were also technical issues. (My camera man drank the 6-pack beer payment before we shot the video. The record button was off.)
  We filmed the re-run 3 days later. The running gods did not smile on me this time. I was hit with muscle spasm in both quadriceps as I tried to accelerate from a crouched start. Nevertheless, I think I showed true, raw speed.  The NFL may take a pass but I fully expect a call from my hometown Ottawa RedBlacks of the Canadian Football League.
  
Don't blink or you'll miss it! Believe me, I was much faster in the sprint with the video failure! 


Usain Bolt, stay retired. My time has come!

Little Bobby Strong


Links

No comments:

Post a Comment