Monday 29 July 2013

Getting Hit On

   You're there to ply your craft and help them work out. Your major objective is to help people attain their fitness goals. You definitely want to establish a rapport with your clients. However, you want to strive to keep it professional at all times. One thing a Fitness Trainer doesn't need is unwanted amorous attention from a client!
   This can be a common occurrence for women trainers but men trainers are not immune. It can be annoying. It can negatively affect your focus. It can turn into a major headache!
  During my previous tenure as a civil servant in an office, I had a situation that broke bad. There was an office temp who had a crush on me. She was the type that would be more at home at an outlaw biker rally or a support group for women who write love letters to imprisoned serial killers. It should have been obvious to her that I did not run with the the same crowd.  I was no bloated, bad-boy, beer bellied, biker behemoth. I had no Satanic goat head tattoo on my chest nor did I possess a felony rap. Variety can be spice, I suppose. One Friday I stayed late to finish some office work. The smitten office temp sniffed me out like a hound to a wounded fox. "You look like you need a hug!" said the office temp. She nearly cracked my ribs as she took it upon herself to fulfill my imagined need despite my protests. In that twilight zone of time from when the office workers have left and the cleaning staff has yet to arrive,................there is no one to hear your screams!
  There was much foreshadowing that my office situation could spiral out of control. Unfortunately, I ignored the writing on the wall. Don't make my mistakes. Heed some of the following warning signs:
  • Inappropriate comments often accompanied by suggestive innuendo
  • Constant requests to get together after the workout or at another time
  • Uncomfortable questions about your marital or dating status
  • Physical contact or touching that is not necessary to that fitness training interaction 
  • Hanging around you when you are working with another client
   My usual reaction would be to ignore a single comment. Many may disagree with me on that and suggest an immediate response! My thinking is that anyone can sometimes slip up and say the wrong thing. I've sure been guilty of it. You also want to determine if the client is being serious with their advances or just joking around. However if the client is making a repeated habit of stepping past your comfort zone... put a stop to it!  Don't let such behavior escalate!
   Politely inform the offending client that you are there to work not flirt. Hopefully that puts a halt the issue. If the attention continues after your warning you must take further action immediately! It may require that you stop the workout session then and there. If you are employed at a fitness center, notify the manager that you may have a problem. Be familiar with the fitness center's sexual harassment policy.
   Fitness Trainer's with their own business must deal directly with the client. It would be prudent to have a clause outlining your policy on improper conduct in the contract that you have your clients agree to. It can be painful to part ways with someone that you worked hard to recruit. However the integrity of your Personal Training business takes precedence. Do not let uncomfortable conduct fester! An untreated wound gets infected!
A firm 'NO!" should be the first line of defense against
a client that crosses the line.
   A situation in which a woman Fitness Trainer is alone with a client at their home or the trainer's own fitness studio may have the potential to be very uncomfortable or worse. 
Always have an emergency plan! This could be a cell phone with a speed dial for help on the ready. It could be another person available to assist from a nearby location.

Remember my true office parable of inaction. Be smart. Protect your ribs!

Until next time,........keep fit!

Little Bobby Strong!  

schwabe27.uwmfatloss.hop.clickbank.net
   

No comments:

Post a Comment