Wednesday 17 October 2018

Bear Naked in the Wild

   Back in the 1990's, I used to go to an amateur wrestling camp in Jasper, Alberta to upgrade my coaching certifications. Jasper is a resort town on the eastern edge of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.During free time I would either go for a run or a mountain bike ride through the many picturesque trails. It seemed like every year my adrenaline surged into an extra gear because of a near bear encounter. They are described as follows:

  1. I was running back to town at the tail end of a 90 minute run. It was getting near dusk. I saw what looked to be the rear end of a black Labrador Retriever dog about 50 meters ahead. Whoops! It was no black lab. It was a black bear that had not yet noticed me. I found an extra gear of speed as I reversed direction. The bear was blocking my path home. I bush-wacked through a swamp to the Yellowhead Highway and staggered home, fearful, soaking wet, and muddy.
  2. Another time I was on a different trail on a mountain bike. A black bear and I came face-to-face about 10 feet apart. The bear ran off one way and I turned and cycled off the other way.
  3. This time I was on a mountain bike and a black bear cub ran across my path. Where there is a cub, there is usually a quick-to-anger mother nearby!  This time I just hit top gear and kept going straight ahead hoping that the mother was not in that direction. Fortunately I guessed right!

   My latest bear sighting happened two weeks ago in the hills of Gatineau Park just north of Ottawa, Canada. Once again I saw what I thought was 1 black Lab dog, then 2 more black Lab dogs. Except that they were bear cubs. Then in the shade nearby was the watchful mamma bear. This was a picnic area/parking lot area that was close to some housing subdivisions. I was far enough away to be safe and and too far to get a decent cell phone picture.. I warned some hikers about the bears.
On the return from my bike bride, the bears were gone. There was a warning sign posted by the parking area.


Image result for mama bear and 3 cubs
This is how my cellphone picture could have looked. In my case, the cubs
were more spread out and the mamma bear was watching them closely.

This brings us to the pertinent question. What do you do if you encounter  a bear (or bears) in the wilderness or semi-wilderness. The expert consensus is that if the bear has not noticed you then you backtrack calmly and quietly.
If the bear is aware of your presence the following recommendations are suggested:
  • Survey the Scene:  Are there cubs nearby? Is there an escape route? 
  • Don't Run:    I know, that is easier said than done. Bears can outrun a human on flat ground or running downhill. If you are a fit person, the instinct would be to use your asset which is your mobility. If you are on a bike and have enough distance you may have a chance if there is a downhill nearby. However experts advise against this.
  • Retreat Slowly if Possible: Slowly back away. Create space. Don't ditch the back back if you have one. In the worst case, it may provide some protection.
  • Climb a Tree: If you are in a wooded area look for a tree to climb. Bears can climb better than you but the hope is that once you are off of the ground they may no longer perceive you as a threat.
  • What if the Bear Runs at You?:  Bears sometimes bluff with a fake charge before launching a real attack. That is your cue to keep backing away. I don't think you will need much convincing for that.
  • Carry Pepper Spray: If you can spray the bear at close range in the face the bear may give up the charge.This should be a last resort used for a real attack that is not a bluff charge. 
  • Play Dead: Some experts feel that if you are submissive and non threatening, the bear will back off. Personally, I doubt that I could pull that off without intense shaking. This should be a last resort. Lie face down or in a fetal position with the hands covering your head.
  • As a Final Last Resort - Fight Back: If the attack is defensive and not predatory, fighting back may cause a black bear to back off. You would want to strike for vulnerable areas such as the eyes, throat or groin. Attempting a Greco Roman wrestling suplex throw is not a wise move. 
  • Seek Help Afterwards: Once you think the bear is gone, get out of there.
  • What if Its a Grizzly Bear or Polar Bear: The same rules apply but your chances of surviving are less. These bears are more likely to see humans (or Peoplekind as our Prime Minister calls them) as dinner. If you encounter a Polar Bear there is unlikely to be a good climbing tree nearby. 
  • Pray: Never forget this survival skill.
  • Safety in Numbers: Travel off of the main tracks only with a companion or better still, a group of companions.
  • Carry a Cell Phone in the Wild: The purpose of getting out on the trails is to escape the electronic trap. However, it would be wise to carry a cell phone for emergencies whether bear related or other.
In summary, don't get caught bear naked in the wild.

Until Next Time,   Keep Fit

Little Bobby Strong


No comments:

Post a Comment